Ever wondered why particular websites appear at the top of the results page when you search in Google? The reason is not just because they are the most relevant, but because they are the best optimised.
Search Engine Optimisation or SEO is the process of improving the ranking of your website on the search results page. The site with the best optimisation for whatever search term someone types into Google will come up first.Being first or close to the top of the results page means that more people are likely to click through to your site and look at what you’re offering. Put simply – SEO helps potential clients find YOU and not your competitors first.SEO, however, can be a complex process. At lead creation our experts implement SEO strategies to improve the rankings of our small business clients’ websites.
The seven key things you need to focus on to improve your SEO are:
1. Have a primarily text based website. Google uses programs to determine the content of your site and its relevancy to potential search terms. These programs only analyse text. If your website contains mainly graphics, images and flash, it may look nice, but Google cannot ‘read’ your website.
2. If your site does contain graphics and images – use the alt-tag function. This allows you to give images a text description which Google can analyse to determine the relevancy of your website.
3. Change your content, or add more to your site, regularly. The more often you do this, the more frequently Google will send its programs to determine the relevancy of your page.To find out when they last visited your site, search your company name on Google and on the results, click the word ‘Cached’ on the last line. This will show you what your page looked like and the last time Google’s programs visited you.
4. A highly optimised website will make use of relevant keywords. Keywords are literally the key to good SEO. They are the very specific and at times idiosyncratic terms that potential clients type in to Google to find services like yours. Keywords should be used in the copy on your site and in the metadata as well. Finding and using the right keywords in your website will improve your ranking on search results pages and direct more traffic to your site.
Keywords should also be used in the title and description of your website. These show up on the Google results page and also help Google’s programs to determine what your site is about. You should use your keywords at or near the beginning of your title and description. A title shouldn’t be more than 65 characters long, and a description shouldn’t be more than 155 characters. Remember that both of those include spaces as well!
5. Changing the way you provide links throughout your site can improve your optimisation. If you simply put ‘click here’ as your anchor text to send people to different pages, you’re losing an important SEO opportunity. What you should be doing instead is using keywords in the anchor text. Your navigation menu should also make use of keywords. Quite simply, the more often you use your specific keywords throughout your site, the easier it will be for Google to determine that your site is relevant when people search that term.
However, you also need to be careful because ‘over-optimisation’ can kill your relevancy score. If, for example, you repeated your keyword three hundred times on one page, Google’s programs would mark your page for what it really is: junk. The keywords you use need to be carefully embedded in your website copy as often as possible so long as it remains logical and sensible. This is the only way to improve relevancy.
6. Links to other sites will improve your SEO score. If you create videos and upload them to Youtube, write articles and submit them to directories, have a blog, join a forum, use twitter or other social networking sites like Facebook and LinkedIn – you can link all of these to your website. You should also ask other appropriate companies if you can link to them and if they will link back to you in return. The more relevant links your page has, the more visible it is to Google and the better chance you’ll have of appearing high on the search results page.
Improve the SEO of your website, starting today, by implementing these seven simple techniques. To recap:
1. Have a text-based website2. Use the alt-tag function to give images a description Google can analyse3. Change and add content to your site often4. Use keywords in your content and in your metadata5. Use keywords in your title and description6. Use keywords in your anchor text – don’t have the link say ‘click here’!7. Have as many links to other relevant sites as possible on your own website
If you employ these simple seven SEO techniques, you’ll improve your search engine results page ranking and increase the amount of traffic to your website – guaranteed.Visit leadcreation.com.au for more techniques to improve your small business marketing today.